Joan Marie Giampa

My name is Joan Marie Giampa and I am from Washington, DC.  I was born in Arlington, Virginia in 1960. I received an MFA in painting from the University of Maryland in 1998 and a BFA in graphic design from James Madison University in 1983.

I teach Introduction to Design 101 at Northern Virginia Community College, Loudoun campus.  Other courses I teach are:  Computer Graphics 101 and 201,, Digital Imaging 256, Drawing 101 and 201, Painting, and Integrated Arts (humanities core course), Multimedia 345 and an online course—The Introduction to art 101.  I have been teaching college level courses full and part-time since 1997.

My passion for teaching has grown exponentially over the past thirteen years.  My primary reason for obtaining an MFA was to be able to teach while working in my professional life as a painter. The MFA in painting prepared me to be a fine artist; it did not prepare me to be a teacher.  For this reason, I enrolled in the doctorate program for college teaching in the higher education department at George Mason University in 2005 and will advance to candidacy this in the Summer of 2010.

Over the past several years, I have been involved with two new associations: Foundations in Art Theory and Education (FATE) and The International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (ISSOTL).  I was on a discussion panel for FATE at the College Art Associations Annual Conference in Boston.  In the spring of 2007, I chaired my own panel “Fostering the New Millennial in the New Learning Environment” at the FATE Biennial conference in Milwaukee Wisconsin.

I own and operate a small gallery, The Red Caboose Gallery, in historical downtown Vienna, Virginia.  I am also the president and founder of the Arts Alliance of Vienna (AAV).  AAV ‘s mission is to develop a creative, comfortable and accessible environment among local art businesses that inspire, encourage and welcome the public to learn about and participate in the joyful experience of art.  AAV plans to give back to the community by hosting charitable events.

I have four amazing children, Giovanna who is graduating from George Mason this spring with a BFA in graphic design, Jeremy a high school senior who plans to attend Mason in the fall, John Nicholas and Aubrey.

This march I will have my doctoral exhibition at Mason Hall and am inviting you in advance to attend the reception on March 24 from 5-7 pm.  You can see my work online at www.joanmariegiampa.com.  I also have a digital story posted about my work.  Thanks for reading about me and I am looking forward to the class.

2 Responses
  1. aodiorne says:

Thanks for sharing your story/process. I will probably remember it the next time I pass the rather provocative ‘Difficult Run’ sign on Rt. 7.

2. jhubai says:

Congrats on making art a career and your advance to candadicy. It must be fun being in school with your children. I would love to visit your gallery and see your art show in March (please remind us). When I lived in California, a local art council would have monthly shows of local work. I never got my act together to submit photographs but my boyfriend at the time had a number of pieces in different shows. It was fun.