Janine Hubai

My road to this blog has been filled with twists and turns, certainty and uncertainty.  I started my undergrad degree in 1993 and finally finished it in 2009 (I took a one shorter and one really long hiatus).  It was an interesting ride that included residences in Santa Fe, New Mexico and San Diego, California, jobs in a bonsai nursery, jewelry industry and various administrative jobs.  I always knew I wanted to get back to school but wasn’t quite sure how.  So I wandered until I was laid off from a job in 2007 and knew it was time to get back to my dreams.

I study history because I seek truth.  I am an MA student in the history program, hoping to go on to my PhD.  My loves are learning and teaching and visual arts and writing.  My dream is to make documentary films.  I want to share the stories of yesterday and today with the masses.  While it would be wonderful to be the next Ken Burns, I do not expect to make much money from documentaries.  I thought being a professor would be the perfect job to support my art and also contribute to helping other’s achieve their academic goals with summers off and research grants available. 

Sometimes we have moments when we realize why we were put on this earth.  When I am running around the base photographing and connecting with the culture that once existed there, that is when I feel most alive.  And I feel most fulfilled when I am helping others.  I also hope to start an after-school program for disadvantaged kids to give them a little bit of hope and perhaps a brighter future. 

I study 20th century wars and military society.  I also look at civil rights and look at civil rights in military communities.  I have an interest in combat motivation, POWs and how race affects the way we treat our “enemies.”  I minored in Conflict Resolution so have an interest in Just War Theory and peaceful resistance.  I also like 20th century Central and Eastern European history- full of war, genocide and nationalism.  I really am a happy person!

I moved here from Massachusetts in August.  I am still waiting for winter to start.  I have been blessed with meeting so many wonderful people in the short period of time I’ve been here.  I love music, films, photography, Ulysses by Tennyson, nature, tennis, superheros, cartoons, speedskating and the Olympics.