Chris James

Hello! I am a MA student in the Applied History New Media Program. I grew up in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, and attended University of Maryland, where I earned a major in both History and American Studies. I was burned out from college, so I took a the next five years or so off to get married, read a lot of books, and play music with friends in my basement. Fortunately, I have had the opportunity to work with primary historical records frequently at work (for both the University of Chicago and LexisNexis), so my academic interests had been somewhat satisfied up until grad school. Now I want to practice applied history at the next level.

I didn’t know anything about DST when I registered for this class, but the course is a good fit for me. I have a longtime interest in documentary film, dating to my American Studies days (I think I still own a copy of the Nichols text). I try to attend one screening at the AFI Silver Theater’s SilverDocs festival each year. I’m also always interested in creative ways to tell history, in whatever format – for example, Diane Ackerman’s The Zookeeper’s Wife, which I had the pleasure of reading just before this semester started.

My hobbies include watching college basketball, reading contemporary literature (I got to read recent Ha Jin and Richard Powers this month), playing with my daughter, and playing, listening to, and reading about rock music.