DST Definiton

Based upon the many posts already up on this site, definitions on other websites, and the definitions that can be gleaned from examples of digital stories that we have watched thus far in class, digital storytelling can be explained or defined in a variety of different ways.  I wish I could provide something more groundbreaking or profound, but my overly simplistic definition would state that a digital story is a narrative, either linear or non-linear, which is told with still images and/or videos that have been paired with narration, and is often supplemented by a soundtrack.  While this description may be simple, it does underline the fact that many different stories can fit within a framework as broad as this one.

Even though this description is broad and perhaps a bit too vague, it should not take anything away from the powerful messages these digital stories can convey.  In fact, because these stories can be as simple as a collection of photographs used to enhance a narration they can be utilized by a growing number of individuals eager to share and preserve their most precious memories.  Although we have already been exposed to a variety of visually stunning and well-produced digital stories, I continue to find myself drawn to stories like those contained in the BBC’s Telling Lives project.  Projects such as this give ordinary individuals with access to a computer an opportunity to document their own personal stories.  Whether these stories are recollections of the London Blitz or a cherished childhood remembrance, Telling Lives ensures that they are preserved and disseminated for people all over the world to see.  The fact that I can share these experiences a half a world away highlights the value of the digital stories that I have so poorly defined.