Ohio to DC: One State at a Time

5 Responses
  1. jjanes says:

I think this is a really interesting use of numbers and photos to tell a story. It fits really well with the title of your story, and I like the continuity found in the subject of each photograph. I think this is a pretty good example of a linear story, each picture taking a single step to the end. The receiving of the story can piece together anything that may have happened in between, while leaving to the imagination any food stops, bathroom breaks, or gas stations that may have occurred in between.

2. jjanes says:

3. cwarburton says:

Thanks!

I’m a huge LOST fan, so I thought it would have been cool to fine streets with all the numbers, but that would have taken a lot of work. A lot of driving to an already long trip.

4. mplumb says:

I’ve done the Pittsburgh to D.C. leg of that trip far too many times, so these pictures instantly brought back memories of traffic jams on I-70 and whiteouts on the Turnpike. Besides the negative, these pictures showed great flow and the room number brings the journey to an end very effectively.

5. sblaher says:

I have to say as soon as I saw this I immediately thought back to my undergraduate days. When I would drive home from South Carolina to Virginia I would have points along the route that would be like “steps” home. Of course mine couldn’t all be numbers since 95% of the trip was on 95. However, the numbers are such a “human” way to catalog things that it seems natural to have the photos of the various route signs and then your apartment number when you finally arrived. I think anyone whose ever had to make a long drive like that (particularly on a regular basis) can relate to this.