A literal video on teaching and learning

Literal video on teaching and learning

Okay, like Rose_Nylund in the Golden Girls, I took this assignment at face value: create a video about learning today. That being said, like many other people I found this assignment extremely useful for trying out Animoto, which I didn’t know existed up until a week and a half ago. I wanted to focus on learning the technology without making my life complicated with images, so I worked almost entirely with Animoto’s library, becoming VERY farmiliar with it. Additionally, I went into Powerpoint and made some diagrams to illustrate the story. Ideally, I would have liked to animate these diagrams, but I couldn’t figure out how to do that (and I’m open to having anyone show me!). As a visually-oriented person, I think images are very important in explaining abstract concepts, and this is what I attempted to do with my diagrams (and because of how Animoto is structured, I’m not sure how it will turn out–I wish we could have previewed our videos). I also think pictures and movies help to set a pace. That’s what I tried to do here. Hence, in this video, fixed pictures are associated with the “old way” and moving pictures with the “new way”.

Overall, I was impressed with Animoto, particularly its ease of use. But I don’t like the slideshow format. It mitigated against what I was trying to do. I do wish they had some more features you could manipulate elements better, and I wish you could control the transitions. Also, at first I was angry that you couldn’t enter very much text, but it challenged me to put very few words in and is probably best as there are limitations as to how much one person can read. This bothers me about many Powerpoints–they put way too much information on one slide than is necessary. So more than anything, Animoto’s limitations helped drive creativity.

As far as the video itself, it could probably be smoother, but this exercise helped me to see several issues in digital storytelling. That’s good.

Anyway, enjoy!

Literal Story on Teaching and Learning

5 Responses
  1. Andrea Odiorne says:

With things like this is seems like the best ones keep your attention and you don’t look at the countdown. Even though the pacing wasn’t quick, the time went by quickly. I really liked this one.

2. Andrea Odiorne says:

BTW, I can show you how to animate those graphics before class tomorrow or next week, if you’d like.

3. dcook6 says:

I couldn’t figure out how to pull in a power point slide, so you’ll have to tell me how you accomplished that. Then, I can eavesdrop as Andrea explains the animation part.

4. gcheong says:

I love the stick figure diagrams… the combination of diagrams and real images somehow says “teaching” to me. :)

5. cwarburton says:

Thanks for your comments everyone! And I’m a big fan of stick figures, particularly when Powerpoint is the only venue I know to create them! Lol. And I did a selection capture on Preview –again, one of the few things I know how to do so I’ll be eager to learn more techniques in class.