Animoto and Learning in New Media environments

Michael Wesch states ” To understand the true potentials of this “information revolution” on higher education, we need to look beyond the framework  of “information”.1

Using a tool such as this makes teaching and learning more fun, exciting and engaging.  There is a huge opportunity to develop lessons that engage Visual learning, Auditory learning, and Kinesthetic learning.  Engaging the three learning styles creates an opportunity to be more effective, and most importantly more fun! When I was in elementary school learning about Thanksgiving usually included coloring worksheets and creating an Indian headband with construction paper.  The advancement of technology and digital storytelling allows for creativity and learning to move beyond the usual status quo of Thanksgiving worksheets and crayons.  I chose to develop a video about Thanksgiving.  I wanted to juxtapose how we currently experience Thanksgiving with the past understanding of this holiday.  This is a “broad strokes” approach and I could have kept going on and on. For example, I could have just focused on the more complex issues such as the native American viewpoint of this event in history.  Animoto creates an opportunity to engage the student- at any level.  It can help an educator “redesign” the “learning environment ” as Wesch states.

Enjoy!

Thanksgiving

Wesch, Michael. “From Knowledgable to Knowledge-able: Learning in New Media Environments.” Academic Commons (January 7, 2009).

One Response
  1. sblaher says:

I liked this one. I especially like how the topics you covered (particularly transporation and then images of the people and mealtimes) were in the same order for both Now and Then. I’m not sure I liked the music, as it didn’t necessarily envoke feelings of the Thanksgiving holiday, but since I have no suggestions as to what song would, I shouldn’t criticize. I especially liked the Snoopy references. Great job!