Animoto Video

Cliff “Ukulele Ike” Edwards

I have to admit, I finished my movie before I looked back at the assignment and realized it was supposed to be ABOUT teaching and learning, and not just “something with some pedagogical value.” I hope that’s alright.

I decided to do a very brief sketch about the life of Cliff “Ukulele Ike” Edwards– best known today as the voice of Jiminy Cricket, but a superstar in his own right in the 1920s.

I don’t know what to think of Animoto. It’s a nice tool in that it makes things quick. The video I made looks, to my eye, far more professional than the amount of time I spent on it would indicate.

That said, a lot of that “look” is somewhat distracting flash, and honestly, it PAINS me to sacrifice so much control. There are some transitions that work quite well– I especially liked the one between the cartoon of Edwards and the picture of Jiminy Cricket. But some others were far less effective– and a couple were just downright ugly.

The trick, of course, is to have lots of tools, and to use the appropriate tool for the appropriate task. Don’t go after a lug nut with a hammer, or what have you. And Animoto is a nice tool for turning out something quickly with a good deal of flash and apparent polish. I wouldn’t trust a tool like this for anything that I wanted closely related to my name, though– or anything on too sensitive a topic. It seems like a good tool for working fast and loose, and less so when a sensitive hand is called for.

At any rate, it was a fun little project, and I’ll definitely try to use the site again before the end of the semester.

As an aside:

1) Why can’t we embed videos on this blog? This confuses me, given the class.
2) Has anyone else played with Xtranormal? See any pedagogical value there? I only played with it once, recreating a scene from “Glengarry Glen Ross,” to limited effect. I’m linking it here, but be warned– there’s some Not Safe For Work language in there, if you’re not familiar with the play…

2 Responses
  1. admin says:

Tad,

I played around with this and have a bit more information. I tried uploading a movie into the media library and adding that to a post, but no luck. I also tried uploading directly to the post and that did not seem to work either.

Then I pasted embed code from YouTube into a post after switching to HTML and it worked.

I’ll check the settings and the code to see what might be causing the problem, but in the meantime, this is a possible workaround.

Kelly

2. Chris King says:

Tad – that was a beautiful tribute to a past star. And I agree re: the control issue. I started out with a completely different concept and had to change on the fly to adapt to the limitations of the tool. Great point about this being just one tool in the toolbox!