Teaching and Learning

Animoto is a very easy way to produce a pretty slick video.  I was surprised at many of the results.  Since it is limiting in ways, it proves that authors have to bend their strategies to certain mediums.  The videos that Animoto produces are very meditative.  McLuhan didn’t just say the medium is the message, he also said the medium is the massage.  This was my attempt at massaging in a few simple points.

It’s not a breakthrough or anything and might seem a little disjointed.  That’s my attempt at trying to get at the magic of animoto.  I am hesitant to say what the video is about, because I hoped being vague would make it seem more deep.  I wanted to show that, despite early attempts to ‘train minds’, the old media encouraged passivity.  Movies are a teacher that needs to be replaced, by a medium that can respond better to its audience.  The ‘found’ narrator is James Burke, and I think this video is from the late 80s or early 90s.  Now, his argument seems pretty obvious, but I am not sure if his prediction has quite come true.  Oh, and teachers shouldn’t have their students close their laptops or shut off their phones.  Also, a classroom can and should be democratic.  I tried to edit this one to make it a little better, but it just ended up worse.  I really didn’t mean to infer that Jack Black was the future of teaching and the ending is both more repetitive and abrupt that I would like, but here it is.

Category: W5: Animoto
7 Responses
  1. Tad says:

Andrea– what did you use to do the YouTube captures? I tend to use Downloadhelper w/FireFox, but I kind of like the effect of keeping that YouTube “frame” sometimes.

2. Andrea Odiorne says:

I used Screenflow, screen-casting software for Mac.

3. cwarburton says:

Andrea–Just looked at your video and was really impressed. This was basically the kind of thing that I was aiming at, but I have much less experience than you do. Anyway, good job!

4. Andrea Odiorne says:

Thanks. I watched yours before I made mine and it drew me into thinking about these education articles from 1913 about the pouring in method of teaching, so thanks for the inspiration/example.

5. jlapple says:

Andrea – I thought this was excellent. You really took this assignment to the next level and incorporated many layers of narration, visual, audio, etc. It brought home the essence of teaching and learning, which should extend beyond the passive lectures to the active learning that engages students on a multitude of levels. The examples you pulled from various cultural perspectives amplified the urgency for new ways of teaching and learning. This was very revealing and very inspiring. Thanks!

6. jhubai says:

I think I am the only one left who doesn’t mind lectures! haha. My mind works well with listening and absorbing information. On the other hand, I get just as much from classes that interactive with each other and most enjoy classes where I am involved and creating. My photography professor told us about really interesting ways his mentor had them respond to other students’ photos. Expressing themselves in nonverbal ways. I took a class that was centered around global chaos and having to think on our feet and try to negotiate was so educational. I am curious to see how the minds of young kids in knew learning situations will think when they get older. It is exciting. Your video is great and thought provoking.

7. jjanes says:

I thought this was great! I’m going to have to keep playing around with Animoto and learn to incorporate video aspects like you did. It really added a provoking dimension to the piece, and I think you really hit on the teaching with new media topic really well.