Blog Highlights: Animoto

“The final project feels a bit like a movie trailer. . . . Perhaps that doesn’t really matter. If the purpose of these projects is to facilitate learning among video makers, then it is a great tool. If the purpose of Animoto is to make videos that facilitate deep learning among viewers, then I’m a convincible skeptic.” [bergman]

“At first I was really hampered by the text limitations, it impeded my ability to annotate the posters. I felt like I was writing a volume of propaganda haiku. In the end, though, I embraced the idea and grew to like the speed at which the images zoomed by.” [fachner]

I was originally going to make a digital story in response to Wesch’s “An Anthropological Introduction to YouTube” but I have not mastered the art of telling a complex story in a simple way. I am glad I decided not to because after doing the Animoto story I realized it would not have worked well. First lesson, know your technology before deciding to use it to write your story. . . Another lesson that I learned from this exercise is the power of the written word when accompanied by a photograph. It is really hard to tell a compelling story with just photographs. It is possible but it takes a lot of time and planning. I think this fits in with our readings in that, even though education is moving towards the digital, writing skills are still extremely important. Perhaps some traditional forms of education are important to integrate in new teaching methods. [hubai]

“Since it [Animoto] is limiting in ways, it proves that authors have to bend their strategies to certain mediums. The videos that Animoto produces are very meditative. McLuhan didn’t just say the medium is the message, he also said the medium is the massage.” [odiorone]

“Animoto creates an opportunity to engage the student- at any level. It can help an educator “redesign” the “learning environment ” as Wesch states.” [goodwin]

“I think I could probably improve on the quality of my future movies now that I understand the limitations of the program. I would rely less on the need for text, and more on the need for strong, linear imagery. This exercise helped me to refocus my expectations for my final project, and think more about the visual components that will be necessary.” [cook]

“At first I was angry that you couldn’t enter very much text, but it challenged me to put very few words in and is probably best as there are limitations as to how much one person can read. This bothers me about many Powerpoints–they put way too much information on one slide than is necessary. So more than anything, Animoto’s limitations helped drive creativity.” [warburton]