Give me interactivity or give me Death!

In an earlier post I commented on Animoto and learning and quoted Michael Wesch, this week’s readings really brought to mind the importance of an educator that moves beyond knowledge and is “knowledgeable”. Part of the trick is  to know how to use these shiny new toys to facilitate learning. In the Vector’s reading,  the “aim is to  explore the immersive and experiential dimensions of emerging scholarly vernaculars across media platforms.” I think this is where Web 2.0, scholarship and learning intersect.  It is not enough that these tools and creative means to teach through digital storytelling exist, it is incumbent upon us to take the brave step to learn, and incorporate these tools into our experience.  It challenges the traditional means of learning and teaching but by incorporating these fascinating elements into all levels of learning and scholarship.  It is exciting to think creatively about teaching and learning and the Web offers seemingly limitless possibilities.

The divide between digital writing (e-publishing) and argument is a more complex topic of discussion.  In our Clio Wired I class, Dan Cohen spent considerable time covering the idea of traditional scholarships, tenure, and writing versus e-publishing. The archived articles can be found here. I’m not sure I have a definitive answer to this question.  But I do think that there certainly is a place for consideration of digital works in evaluating professional tenure for scholars.  I have found twitter to be an interesting means to engage argument in the Web 2.0 environment.  It is a great way to facilitate communication, learning and “discussion” , even if it is 140 characters or less.

Interactivity through twitter, gaming, and digital storytelling offers  a wide variety of teaching and learning and with the ever changing landscape, it is exciting to see what’s next on the horizon.