Storyboard revisions and media creation

The partner feedback session last week, and the short meeting with Kelly were both very useful. Even in those few minutes I was able to see what I didn’t see by myself in terms of what’s missing, what’s too much, and what’s misplaced. Following Kelly’s advice with a kitchen timer ticking off 10 minutes, I timed the narration and doodle-oodled through the non-narration parts to sort of time them. After cutting a bunch of redundancies and excessively complex frames & text, the timing seems pretty close to 10 minutes. I may be kidding myself here, but at least it’s in the ballpark.

I have also thought through how I am going to create the media. I hope to do the narration at CHNM in the early morning using the good USB mic and Audacity, the free recording program I downloaded on Misha’s advice & handout. The idea is to create separate, numbered clips for each narration so I don’t have to chop them up later. If this is a bad idea, and might make the story choppy, will someone please let me know before I do it? Or should I just do straight narration except where it is interrupted by something else and this would make smoother transitions? Enlighten me.

I have already grabbed some video clips, and have a number of still images. I am going to work on the text titles, which I plan to make and animate in PPT. I hope this goes well. I still can’t see myself as a maestro in front of the editing console…but miracles do happen. Andrea makes it look so easy.

2 Responses
  1. Kelly Schrum says:

For voice recording, either way would be fine because the audio is fairly easy to separate later in to sections. The key if you imagine these as separate pieces is to think about that as you record. So one section has a clear beginning and end; you pause at the end and take a breath and then start again so the next section is clearly recognizable as its own piece.

2. dcook6 says:

Reading your progress makes me feel better because I’m at a similar point as far as production goes. I didn’t make it to the voice over recording session last week and was also wondering whether it’s better to do several narrated clips, or one long narration. My DST script has several speaking parts, so trying to coordinate everyone in the room at the same time may prove difficult. Please let me know what advice you get back on your question. Wait…I just saw Kelly’s response above. Never mind :)

Also, I’m not familiar with animating text in PPT. If you don’t mind, I may ask to see what you make and how it’s done. Looking forward to seeing your rough cut!