Finding the sweet spot

Like many of you I, too, am working towards refining and narrowing my topic idea to something that I hope will land on its feet and attain the hopes I have for it.  I’ve been lucky enough to get my research done and I have a visual idea of how I want to do this. This story came into more focus hen I did my archival research. The idea crystallized more as I worked on the storyboards and I’m hoping to parlay that imaging into moving images.

My problem is currently technological. I am struggling to get my source videos uploaded into the program so I can edit.  I’m close to getting this done and once I do the real work begins.  As I’ve mentioned in the script sessions I’ve been struggling with the notion of using voice over or no voice over,  so I find that I am thinking I will need to cut together two versions of this project. It is a trail-by-error method that unfortunately will take a huge amount of time, but I’m confident once I have the timeline set, I can give myself some options to develop the story and its elements into a digital story that is worthy if the topic.

But I have t say that I am having a ton of fun doing research and developing this idea into digital story that conveys the ideas and questions that I am investigating . Thinking about history in this way makes it fun and stretches the boundaries of conventionality that I often feel weighing me down when doing more “traditional” history.  I’m just hoping I can find the sweet spot of storytelling that engages, provokes and even entertains a little bit.

3 Responses
  1. cwarburton says:

I completely agree that a lot of times projects like this are trial-by-error. It can be cumbersome, but that’s how you learn and get better. You’re right too about the sweet spot. It’s from there that you get the superhuman drive and motivation, it seems. But I’m glad you’re having such a great time with it though.

2. mbergman says:

It seems to me that the most important aspect of your self-assessment is that you’re having tons of fun. I’m certain that attitude comes across in your project. how can it not?!?

3. rfachner says:

I agree that the research for this has been a lot of fun, which of course is the ultimate point. I think putting it all together is kind of like sitting down to write a paper. You know you have all the material, you know what you want to say, its just a matter of crafting it. And based on what you showed me last week, you are well on your way!!