Like many of you I, too, am working towards refining and narrowing my topic idea to something that I hope will land on its feet and attain the hopes I have for it. I’ve been lucky enough to get my research done and I have a visual idea of how I want to do this. This story came into more focus hen I did my archival research. The idea crystallized more as I worked on the storyboards and I’m hoping to parlay that imaging into moving images.
My problem is currently technological. I am struggling to get my source videos uploaded into the program so I can edit. I’m close to getting this done and once I do the real work begins. As I’ve mentioned in the script sessions I’ve been struggling with the notion of using voice over or no voice over, so I find that I am thinking I will need to cut together two versions of this project. It is a trail-by-error method that unfortunately will take a huge amount of time, but I’m confident once I have the timeline set, I can give myself some options to develop the story and its elements into a digital story that is worthy if the topic.
But I have t say that I am having a ton of fun doing research and developing this idea into digital story that conveys the ideas and questions that I am investigating . Thinking about history in this way makes it fun and stretches the boundaries of conventionality that I often feel weighing me down when doing more “traditional” history. I’m just hoping I can find the sweet spot of storytelling that engages, provokes and even entertains a little bit.