Blog Highlights: Final Project Progress

“Another unexpected thing regarding the objectivity question and family stories–in some ways it’s easier to produce a video with family stories because you know them so well, yet it’s hard to objectively analyze them because you have so much emotional attachment.” Warburton

“Thinking about history in this way makes it fun and stretches the boundaries of conventionality that I often feel weighing me down when doing more “traditional” history. I’m just hoping I can find the sweet spot of storytelling that engages, provokes and even entertains a little bit.” Goodwin

“While the images and videos I am gathering are going to be essential to telling my story in a digital format, the story itself is still key.” Plumb

“Since I am relying so heavily on oral histories, I have felt like I have been almost entirely at the mercy of those willing to talk to me.” Janes

“Originally, I planned to do a historiography of the Sandro Botticelli’s painting, Primavera. While this may make for a great research paper, it wasn’t translating as well to a digital story. . .” Cook

“. . . I was able to see what I didn’t see by myself in terms of what’s missing, what’s too much, and what’s misplaced. . . .I timed the narration and doodle-oodled through the non-narration parts to sort of time them. After cutting a bunch of redundancies and excessively complex frames & text, the timing seems pretty close to 10 minutes.” Douglass

“We need to see beyond the chalkboard, the powerpoint slideshow, the monograph. And this *is* a good way to approach certain topics, and can lead to different sorts of learning outcomes for those who take the time to do it. . . . I’m just wondering– is it really compatible with most people’s classroom reality?” Suiter