Copyright…scary

After reading the articles on copyright law, copyright appears to be very complex and easy to violate. It seems very daunting for a layman to understand. I thought the article, “Copyright Basics” did a nice job at helping to explain copyright in an easy to understand manner. It may not be enough to defend myself in a legal battle, but at least it was a good starting point. Even though I’ve heard the term Fair Use before, I didn’t fully understand it and thought it allowed for more leniency, especially in the area of educational usage.  There seems to be a lot of gray areas, and areas of ‘case by case basis’, which again, sounds like a lawsuit. Not encouraging when making a digital story.

As for the duration of copyright protection, this too seems to be a complicated matter due to the different categories of which material falls under. I imagine copyright will continue to evolve and grow even more complicated with the quickly changing mediums being introduced. With the introduction of the internet, growing copyright infringement is also an issue that will most likely not go away anytime soon. Overall, reading about copyright made the idea of being creative seem a lot less exciting, and a lot more risky. Unless you are only working with original material, it seems like a lot of effort will need to go into researching and understanding copyright issues before you can publish your efforts.

From the point of view of the originator of the work, I found it interesting that copyright is automatically secured from the moment of creation. Now I understand why there are court cases about different parties (such as members of a band) arguing over who was the originator of a work. I can imagine how fuzzy this can get when dealing with mediums such as music and dance.

Finally, I found the article, “Tell Me a Digital Story” very interesting. I never would have thought about DST being used by marketing and advertising firms so heavily. It somehow seems unfair that large corporations are making money off of everyday people by exploiting their stories without compensating them. I’m sure the advertising firms must love DST. They’re getting paid good money with little to no creative effort needed up front. This article did make me think about who is the original owner of the work. Depending on whether the company sends a recording device to the home of the storyteller, or goes to the home of the storyteller to record themselves, or pays the storyteller to record the narrative, will all effect the outcome of copyright authorship. I think…