My copyright post…

I posted it over in my blog… I hope that’s okay…

Please click through and read.

COPYRAGE!!!

…And if that title’s not enough to entice you, I’ve included a bit of “original” art that sums up my reaction to this week’s readings pretty well:

My Fair Use Manifesto.

4 Responses
  1. cwarburton says:

You know, as I look at Mickey Mouse and reflect on this week’s readings, I think of what one of the commentators said about the gross inequities of creators. Big corporations like Disney have teams of lawyers that can defend their copyrights while people operating out of their garages don’t. I see this on youtube all the time–corporations can have videos with their material taken down or muted while the average person who has worked hours on quality production can has their stuff duplicated in a hackneyed way. So I don’t think this issue is about the law so much because the corporations will have their lobbyists defend and promote the law while the little guy — many little guys — will try to get away with breaking the law. Everyone is ultimately looking to their own interests. And that, in masse, can really erode making a living off of creativity.

2. dcook6 says:

Your copyrage blog was the first thing I’ve read regarding copyright that made me smile. It also made me realize that people probably fall into two camps: the rule followers who are stifled by issues such as copyright, and the rebels who create first and ask for forgiveness later, after they’re already famous and could care less if they’re forgiven. I also think Carrie brings up a really good point about the relationship between money and legal freedom.

3. sdouglass says:

That sums up my attitude exactly. I think it is important to gauge the target of the infringement. It is also important to protect those who create content who are not famous and wealthy enough to press their case–a point brought up on the MEF site (you’ll see it in class Thurs). I really appreciate the amount of content that is being made available through Creative Commons licensing, and also the amount of vulnerability that, say, museums are incurring when they put up exhibits of things that require only a right-click to incorporate. They are, after all, public institutions, especially for their role in preserving and exhibiting info about the past.

4. tgoodwin says:

Tad, an alternative title to your post: “Dr. Copyright or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Fair Use”.

Though I did not go into full detail in my post, I echo these sentiments. As a fledgling academic, I will consider my use of film clips and other copyright material as fair use, without equivocation.